Horatio Alger’s Ragged Dick provides us with a view of the American boy in the nineteenth century. This perception is very different than our view for the American girl. In our field of view, we know that the American girl was expected to be well kept, clean, and put together. We would never see a young girl in the nineteenth century in rags alone and helpless in the streets. Ragged Dick on the other hand represents the American boy who can be dirty and funny and charming in rags. He is described as a one with “no particular dislike to dirt” and “in spite of the dirt and rags, there was something about Dick that was attractive.” (Pg. 336) This text seems to approve of boys being dirty and wearing rags by showing a charming funny boy living happily on the streets.
Dick is a very hardworking boy. And although he lies about many things, especially is clothes, “This coat once belonged to General Washington…” (Pg. 337), Dick is an honest boy with his finances and work ethic. “You don’t catch me stealin’, if that’s what you mean…I wouldn’t. Lots of boys does it, but I wouldn’t.” (Pg. 334). I feel like that this character trait teaches boys that they can be funny and “cool” but also “good” and honest. They must work hard for their money to make an honest living. I think it was interesting that Dick worked hard and made quite a lot of money by midday when Johnny who admits to stealing earlier in the text had not even had one customer yet.
I also thought it was interesting that in our texts on the American girl we learned that the countryside was best. But in Ragged Dick, the countryside was not as popular for the boys. Johnny was provided a wonderful opportunity and life really, but turned it down because he was “lonely.” The city is portrayed as a home place of adventure and thrill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Alli-
ReplyDeleteI like what you stated about this text allowing boys to be cool & funny, while still retaining honor and a sense of trustworthiness. I also agree with your statement that girls like the country, while the boys like the city (although I would argue that today's society is different in that regard). Great post.
Tripp